The Holiday Season has arrived (cue dramatic music) DUN-DUN-DUUUUUUUUN!!
The six-week period from Thanksgiving Day through New Year’s Day can be one of the most stressful, over-busy, anxiety-producing, overwhelming times of the entire year.
I was curious what specifically stressed people over the holidays, so yesterday on Facebook, I threw out this question to my friends and followers:
“In a word or two, what aspect of the holiday season is the most stressful for you?”
I received 50 enthusiastic responses mentioning everything from cooking to shopping to feeling inadequate. Several stressors were mentioned more than once, especially cooking and buying gifts. Here are some of the things that were mentioned:
- Gift Buying
- People Who Forget the Meaning of the Holidays
- Money: Over-spending
- Money: Lack
- Eating the wrong foods
- House Cleaning
- Crowds and Full Parking Lots
- The need for everything to be perfect
- Worrying that there isn’t enough under the tree.
- Feeling the need to do everything yourself.
- Lack of sleep
Good Lord. My jaws are clenched just reading that list.
The good news is…. help is on the way!
Below are common stressors that knock us off balance during the holiday season. For each I’ve given you a suggested affirmation and essential oil or blend to use that will support you in easing back into a more relaxed place.
1. Perfectionism Make this your mantra: Does it really matter? Think for a minute about your own best holiday memories. Do they shine because of the perfectly decorated tree, material presents received or an exquisitely set table? I’ll bet not. My guess is that your memory is warmed by the experience you had of people, conversations and human connections.
Release from Perfectionism Affirmation:
It doesn’t have to be perfect to be wonderful.
“It’s all Good” Blend
Lavender 5 drops
Neroli 2 drops
Lemon 5 drops
Add the essential oils to the cotton wick and pop into the inhaler. Carry it with you. Every time you begin to feel panic that something isn’t the way you think it should be or should look, open the inhaler, take a deep breath and repeat your affirmation.
2. Overwhelm (exhaustion, anger, resentment) Taking on too much alone and trying to do it all yourself will make you feel engulfed in responsibilities. For Pete’s sake, delegate. Ask for help, ask for help, ask for help. It’s better to have mediocre decorations done by your teenaged son but experienced in relaxation than surrounded with Stewart-esque holiday decor while you sit there feeling exhausted and unappreciated.
Ask for Help Affirmation
I can ask for help and be powerful at the same time.
No More Overwhelm Blend
Vetiver 2 drops
Marjoram 2 drops
Sweet Orange 4 drops
Put everyone to work and run yourself a warm, relaxing bath. Add the essential oils to the water just before you step in. Enjoy. You deserve it!
3. Crowds/Parking/Shopping Anxiety If you get out into the holiday chaos and find yourself saturated with the noise and overstimulation of crowds, try this simple solution:
Every breath I inhale calms me and every breath I exhale takes away tension.
Lavender for Peace
Carry a small bottle of Lavender essential oil with you. When you feel ready to meltdown, find a quiet spot and take out the Lavender, take a deep whiff from the bottle and repeat your affirmation.
4. Scarcity Mindset: If money is tight and you’re panicking about not having enough, then make something. It sounds cliche, but I promise, a handmade gift, a poem, a story about what makes that person special to you will mean 100 times more than anything you find in a store. And, of course, if you have the materials, aromatherapy gifts are always great!
There is always enough. I have everything I need.
Basil ct linalol 3 drops
Peppermint 2 drops
In a diffuser add the essential oils while repeating your affirmation. Say it everytime a thought that there isn’t enough creeps in.
5. Sadness (loneliness, regret) The holidays can be very depressing for some as memories of better times come forth, or loved ones who are not longer here.
I am grateful to God for this wonderful life and thankful to everyone who has touched my life.
Cheerful Diffuser Blend
Orange 3 drops
Lemon 3 drops
Bergamot 3 drops
Black Spruce 2 drops
Add the essential oils to an inhaler and take it with you on a brisk walk. As you walk, sniff from the inhaler and repeat your affirmation.
6. Lack of Good Sleep Too many parties, too many late nights with family and friends, worry, general overstimulation – lack of sleep is a huge problem during the holiday season when we need it most. Essential oils are well-known to help with sleep so by all means, use them to get some rest!
I have done my best for today, I have earned my sleep for tonight. I am ready to rest.
Add these essential oils to an inhaler (15 drops total) or Diffuser (1 drop of each)
Do you have a suggestion of an oil, affirmation or activity to help
reduce stress during the holidays?
If so, please share it in the comment section below!
Aromatic Wisdom Newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.