I’ve become completely enamored with natural cleaning. Let me be clear, I am not a woman who loves to clean. Given free time I’ll write, read or surf the net before I run the sweeper or scrub the bathtub. But since I like a bright, germ-free, fresh-smelling home, clean I must.
- Updated on Oct 27, 2022 for accuracy and relevance.
- This blog post may contain affiliate links which means I may receive a small commission if you make a purchase using them. The commission is paid by the retailer at no extra cost to you.
Why I don’t like to use commercial cleaning products
• The products enter my lungs and absorb in my skin;
• There is a risk of exposing my family and pets to chemical toxins;
• One way or another, they end up in Mother Earth;
• With my shopping dollars, I’m voting to keep toxic cleaners on the shelves.
Health Hazards of Many Commercial Cleaning Ingredients
Some create skin or respiratory irritation, watery eyes, chemical burns, and even hormonal disruptions. Other cleaning ingredients are associated with chronic, or long-term, effects such as cancer. The Mayo Clinic warns that formaldehyde in our household and personal care products can irritate the respiratory system, cause skin reactions and trigger heart palpitations.
Accordingly, to the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency), toxic chemicals in household cleaners cause women working at home to have a 55% higher cancer risk than women working outside the home. Fragrances added to many cleaners, especially laundry detergents and fabric softeners, may cause respiratory irritation, headache, and sneezing in sensitive individuals or those with allergies.
The EPA warns that our homes are 70 times more toxic than outside. Doesn’t that mean that the dirt in your house is less toxic than the chemicals you use to remove it?!
Natural, Green Cleaning is Affordable and Easy
To keep your home clean, toxic-free, and smelling wonderful, is easy, affordable and can even be fun! It is not necessary to spend a lot of money or use commercial cleaning products to have a fresh, clean home or office.
The Four Items You Need to Clean Your Home or Office
1) Baking Soda (supermarket)
2) White Distilled Vinegar (supermarket)
3) Unscented Liquid Castile Soap
4) Essential Oils (Why should you add essential oils to your homemade cleaning products? Because they are anti-bacterial and anti-fungal plus they boost your immunity while you are cleaning…oh don’t forget that they smell wonderful!)
Use Your Older Essential Oils
Try to use up your older essential oils for this project. Why? Because when essential oils get old they become oxidized, creating potential skin problems like irritation and skin sensitization. Though your essential oils may still smell okay, they won’t be skin safe. Read why in this blog post.
My Favorite Natural Soft Scrub DIY Recipe
- 2 C. Baking soda
- 4 Teaspoons Peppermint Castile Soap
- 1 Teaspoon White Vinegar (you can find in any supermarket)
- 40 drops of Essential Oil (Use any preferred aroma or use up your older essential oils
Instructions: Mix and store in a sealed wide-mouth container. Shelf life is about two years. Sometimes left unused, this product will dry out. If this happens, the fix is easy! Just add a little white vinegar or Liquid Castile soap and stir. It will be good as new!
Cleaning Tip: For really tough jobs, spray with the distilled vinegar first, let it sit then follow up with the scrub.