Restless leg syndrome will make you crazy. I know this first hand because I experience it sometimes when I’m riding in a car or airplane.
What is Restless Leg Syndrome?
I found this definition on WebMD: “People with restless legs syndrome have uncomfortable sensations in their legs (and sometimes arms or other parts of the body) and an irresistible urge to move their legs to relieve the sensations. The condition causes an uncomfortable, “itchy,” “pins and needles,” or “creepy-crawly” feeling in the legs. The sensations are usually worse at rest, especially when lying or sitting.”
Yep, that’s how I’ve experienced it. Luckily, there are some natural remedies to help soothe the weird crawly itchy sensation, not the least of which are essential oils.
Below are 3 recipes that have really helped calm my own restless leg discomfort.
1. Sleepy Legs Night Cream
- 12 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 10 drops Marjoram Essential Oil
- 5 drops Roman Chamomile
- 2 oz (60 ml) Fragrance Free Natural Lotion (Purity is my favorite!)
- 2 oz (60 mL) PET plastic jar or 2 oz (60 mL) Glass Jar
- 12″ Glass Stir Rod
Directions: Add the lotion to the jar and then the three essential oils. Stir with a glass stir rod until completely blended. Rub into your legs vigorously at bedtime or whenever your legs are jumpy.
2. Happy Legs Travel Spray
- 9 dr Petitgrain Essential Oil
- 8 dr Sweet Orange Essential Oil
- 8 dr Siberian Fir Essential Oil
- 2 fl oz (60 mL) Lavender Hydrosol (click here to learn more about hydrosols)
- 25 dr Velona Natural Polysorbate*
- 2 oz PET Plastic Spray Bottle
*Polysorbate: Polysorbate is an emulsifier that will enable you to safely use essential oils that are mixed with water (hydrosol). Blend it with an equal amount of essential oils for a 1:1 ratio of emulsifier to essential oil.
3. Grateful Gams Bath Salt
10 drops Frankincense Essential Oil
5 drops Marjoram Essential Oil
5 drops Clary Sage Essential Oil
3 drops Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
Himalayan Pink Salt
2 oz PET Plastic Jar