Vetiver for Grounding. Vetiver for Comfort. Vetiver for Trust.
Being an over-thinking worrywart, I love this essential oil.
Vetiver is the friend I turn to when I’ve worked myself into a mental frenzy.
One whiff of this sweet, mysterious, earthy oil and there is a renewed sense of safety.
Vetiver Essential Oil
(Vetiveria zizanioides is a synonym of Chrysopogon zizanioides)
Family: Poaceae (grass)
Name Change: The accepted (official) Latin binomial for Vetiver was changed from Vetiveria zizanioides to Chrysopogon zizanioides. Vetiveria zizanioides is still the scientific name you’ll find in most essential oil books and documents. Learn more about latin binomials in this earlier post.
Geographical Source: Vetiver is grown in the countries of Java, Reunion, and Comoros
Plant Part: The essential oil is expressed from the root
Note: Base (about as base as they get!)
Characteristics: Vetiver is a very very thick and syrupy essential oil. Its color is deep brown. Her aroma is earthy, sweet, musty and mysterious and reminds me of the wet earth smell you experience in the first minutes of a summer rain. I’ve heard it described as smelling like a damp forest floor. Due to its excellent fixative properties, vetiver is contained in 90% of all western perfumes.
Chemical Families: Made up primarily of Sesquiterpenes, Sesquiterpenols, and the safe Ketone molecule, ‘Vetivone’
- Relaxing, sedative
- Inhibits growth of fungus
- Supports skin healing
- Stimulates immune function
- Add to Lemongrass or Tea Tree in organic Aloe vera gel for skin or toenail fungus
- Bath: 5 drops in the tub for deep relaxation
- Massage: A nice addition to a relaxing massage, especially when adding 1 drop of Neroli essential oil
Subtle Properties (vibrational and energetic): In India Vetiver is known as ‘the oil of tranquility’. It’s no surprise that it corresponds with the Root Chakra and is the best oil for making you feel safe and “at home”. Vetiver can help you connect with earth energies and restore your sense of feeling centered in your body. Vetiver can help you feel connected to Divine Love.
Liz’s Suggested Recipe:
Feel Safe Massage Oil
4 drops Vetiver essential oil
2 drops Jasmine absolute
1 drop Lavender essential oil
1 oz organic Jojoba wax
Repeat this affirmation: I am secure, protected and safe. I am surrounded by Divine Love.
Safety Information: Non-toxic, non-irritating
My Aromatic Wisdom Insight Card™ for Vetiver
1. Battaglia S. The Complete Guide to Aromatherapy. 2nd edition, The International Centre of Holistic Aromatherapy, Australia, 2003
2. Mojay G. Aromatherapy for Healing the Spirit, Henry Holt and Company Inc., England, 1996
3. Keim, J. Aromatherapy & Subtle Energy Techniques
4. Fulcher, L. Aromatherapy Certification Manual
Aromatic Wisdom Newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.