Table Salt? No Thank You.
Salt has been given a bad rap ever since we discovered that common “sodium chloride” (table salt) can raise blood pressure. But like everything else we put in – and on – our body, the benefits and detriments of salt depend on what kind and if we’ve refined the ever livin’ goodness out of it. Garbage in, garbage out – even with salt.
The salt you buy in the supermarket is made in large processing plants. During manufacturing it is heated to 1200 degrees Fahrenheit and treated with caustic substances to remove minerals.
Aluminum hydroxide is added to improve how it pours. High levels of aluminum in the diet are suspected of being a possible cause of Alzheimer’s disease. As if that weren’t bad enough, stripping salt of it’s natural components causes your body to drawn intracellular water to counteract it which puts a strain on your kidneys making it harder for them to remove waste from your blood. Yuk. I’ll take my diet bland.
Himalayan Pink Salt? Yes Please!
The familiar pink and red hues of Himalayan Salt are an indication of its mineral and iron content. Naturally rich in 84 nourishing and skin-replenishing minerals, this salt is a treasure both in your food and your bath. Remember that everything you put on your skin absorbs into your bloodstream and cells, so what goes on the skin should be used with the same consideration as the food you put in your mouth and body.
Here are 7 reasons I like to use Himalayan Salt Crystals in kitchen and my bathroom:
1. Nourishes the body with essential minerals that support our cellular processes.
2. Helps remove acidic toxins from your system and can assist in bringing your body’s pH levels back to normal, alkaline range.
3. Helps reduce stress by improving nervous system function. The minerals in Himalayan salt increase nerve conductivity.
4. Reduces muscle cramps that result from perspiring heavily after physical activity.
5. Its natural antihistamine effect may help with lung congestion and excessive mucus.
6. It minimizes fluid retention.
7. Removes dead skin and improves circulation when used as a body scrub. Especially indicated for legs, arms, hands and feet.
In the Aromatic Wisdom Classroom,
we use the Pink Himalayan Salt sold by Pompeii Organics.
Both small and fine work great for body scrubs.
(You’ll get 15% discount on your salt if you’re a subscriber to our newsletter)
And finally, here is an earlier blog with recipes for
4 Healthy Aromatherapy Salt Scrubs.
Do you have a recipe using Himalayan Salt you would like to share with us?
Post it in the comments section below!