The Song of the Geranium Fairy
Red, red, vermilion red,
With buds and blooms in a glorious head!
There isn’t a flower, the wide world through,
That glows with a brighter hue.
Her name ~ Geranium ~ ev’ryone knows;
She just as happy wherever she grows,
In an earthen pot or a garden bed
~ Cicely Mary Barker
Today’s Features Essential Oil is….
Essential Oil of Geranium
Note: A middle note
Geographical source: Egypt, China
Plant Part: Leaves
Oil Characteristics: Geranium is a pleasant blend of citrus, floral, fresh, herbaceous, rosy and woody.
Chemical Families: Sesquiterpenes, Monoterpenes, Sesquiterpenols, Ketones, Esters
- Alleviates inflammation
- Stimulates the lymphatic system
- Kills bacteria
- Can help to prevent and alleviate depression
- Inhibits the growth of fungus
- Helps relieve spasms and cramps
- Supports the skin to heal and also helps tighten skin tissue
Some Suggested Applications:
- Women can add a few drops to jojoba wax or cream and rub into the belly prior to or during the menstrual cycle to minimize bloating and water retention.
- Blend with Lavender and Clary Sage and add to a bath or in the diffuser to help calm mood swings of PMS.
- Wonderful in a diffuser with Marjoram and Lavender for sleep
- For swollen ankles, Geranium can be used in a bath (blended into a cream, oil or whole milk) and added to a foot bath.
- Try adding one drop of Geranium to a small handful of shampoo before washing your hair. It is known to balance the production of sebum and is great for scalps that are excessive oily or dry.
Taxonomy Note: Pelargonium roseum and Pelargonium graveolens are synonyms (different Latin names, same oil).
Subtle Properties (vibrational and energetic): Geranium essential oil, regardless of the species, corresponds to the second chakra and therefore is wonderful for supporting our creativity and supports new beginnings. It nourishes the feminine energy in all of us. A great affirmation to use with this oil is “I am creative and nurturing and I act with wisdom and love.”
Blends well with: Lemon, Pine and Frankincense
A Recipe Using Geranium:
Emotionally Balancing Massage Oil
This massage oil settles the emotions, calms nerves and is skin nourishing.
2 oz PET plastic bottle
2 oz Jojoba wax
8 drops Geranium
8 drops Lavender
5 drops Bergamot
5 drops Cedarwood, Virginia
Add the essential oils to the jojoba and shake. Apply over body and massage.
Fun Fact: The Genus Pelargonium is Greek and translates from the word pelargos meaning stork.
Safety Information: Non-toxic, non-irritating.
My Aromatic Wisdom Insight Card for Geranium:
If you’d like to past Fragrant Friday posts,
check out the Fragrant Friday Archives
Aromatic Wisdom Newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.