Since it’s the beginning of a brand new year, I though it would be fun to feature Juniper essential oil – the aromatic that cleanses and makes everything new again. It’s great to clean physical and energetic congestion, and it supports weight loss!
Geographical Sources: The Juniperus communis is an evergreen native to the northern hemisphere: Scandinavia, Siberia, Canada, northern Europe and northern Asia. The oil is mainly produced in Italy, France, Austria, Spain, Germany and Canada.
Extraction: The essential oil is produced by steam distillation of the ripe berries. Characteristics: The essential oil is clear with a fresh, masculine gin-like odor.
- Anti-rheumatic – Provides rubifacient effect (generates localized increase in blood flow and circulation by irritation of skin, will often reduce pain and swelling)
- Antispetic – assists in fighting germs and infections
- Antispasmodic – relieves spasm and cramps
- Astringent – contracts and tightens tissue, circulatory stimulant
- Diuretic – aids in reduction of fluids
Benefits of Juniper: Juniper is above all a fabulous detoxifier. It is a powerful diuretic and very helpful for anyone with edema. Since it stimulates the kidneys, be mindful of using it when there are kidney issues.
Muscular/Skeletal: rheumatism, arthritis, sciatica
Cardiovascular/Lymphatic: hemorrhoids, aids lymphatic circulation and drainage of accumulated toxins.
Digestive: aids detoxification from overindulgence in food and alcohol.
Emotional: Helps relieve anxiety and nervous tension.
Principle Chemical Constituents: Mainly monoterpenes: pinene, myrcene, sabinene with limonene, cymene, terpinene, thujene and camphene among others.
Energetically, Juniper is a magnificent “cleanser”. This is the oil to diffuse after an argument or when you sense negativity in a room. When I’ve been to the mall where I’m surrounded by lots of people, I clear my solar plexus chakra when I get home to get rid of any unwanted energy that may have become mixed with my own. If you’d like to try this, simply put one drop of Juniper Berry essential oil on your hand, rub them together then run your hands through the area about 2 inches from your solar plexus. This will help clear away the energy of the people you’ve been close to. You can also do this after being with a negative client or if you just have a sense that your my energy field is congested. You can also add 10 drops of juniper in 1 ounce of water in a spray bottle, shake well, close your eyes and spray abover your head and allow the mist to fall on and around your body.
My Aromatic SoulCollage Card
from negative influences.
I am one who keeps your gentle spirit safe.
1. Battaglia S. The Complete Guide to Aromatherapy. 2nd edition, The International Centre of Holistic Aromatherapy, Australia, 2003
2. Davis P. Aromatherapy an A-Z. New revised edition C.W. Daniel Company Limited, England, 1999
3. Keville, K. Aromatherapy, A Complete Guide to the Healing Art, The Crossing press, USA, 1995
4. Mojay G. Aromatherapy for Healing the Spirit, Henry Holt and Company Inc., England, 1996
5. Price S. Aromatherapy for Health Professionals, 2nd edition, Churchill Livingstone, 1999
6. Tisserand R. The Art of Aromatherapy, Healing Arts Press, USA, 1977