Essential Oil of Ravintsara
Cinnamomum camphora ct 1,8 cineole
Geographical source: Madagascar
Plant Part: Leaves
Oil Characteristics: Ravintsara has a camphoraceous, fresh aroma
Chemical Families: Ravintsara has a high content of a molecule called “1,8 cineole.” This molecule gives Ravintsara a sort of eucalyptus aroma and makes it supportive of the respiratory system. You can learn more about oils that are high in this oil in the Aromatic Wisdom Podcast episode 14 called
1,8 Cineole Essential Oils for Respiratory Support.
- Kills airborne bacteria
- Helps relieve pain
- Reduces inflammation
- A useful remedy for clearing the head and sinuses
- Helps with focus and concentration
- Famous for it’s decongesting and respiratory system support
Some Suggested Applications:
- To reduce the effects of a cold, add 1 drop of Ravintsara to hot water in a bowl and inhale the steam as soon as symptoms begin
- Diffuse Ravintsara with Siberian fir, Black Spruce or White Pine to protect from getting a cold
- Add to a nasal inhaler with Orange and Rosemary for a nice lift in the middle of the day.
- Add a few drops to any oil designed for a chest rub for respiratory relief
- Great in a headache relief inhaler
Blends well with: Eucalyptus, Peppermint, Orange, Lemon
A Recipe Using Ravintsara:
“Breathe Easier” Respiratory Support Scrub
4 oz Himalayan Pink salt
4 oz Coconut Oil
20 drops Tea Tree essential oil (Melaleuca alternifolia)
10 drops Spike Lavender essential oil (Lavendula latifolia)
10 drops Ravintsara essential oil (Cinnamomum camphora ct 1,8 cineole)
Safety Information: Generally non-toxic and non-irritating unless oxidized. Be careful using Ravintsara with children under 10 as 1,8 cineole may cause CNS and breathing problems in young children.
Where to Buy: You can find all these essential oils at PompeiiOrganics.com. This is not my company, nor do I receive any commission from them. However, I use all their products in my classroom because of the exceptional quality and customer service. Because the owner is a graduate of my Aromatherapy Certification Program, she does something very nice – anyone who subscribes to my free newsletter gets a special code for a 15% discount on every order at Pompeii Organics!
If you’d like to read past Fragrant Friday posts,
check out the Fragrant Friday Archives